Overview of bio heavy oil
Bio heavy oil Is an eco-friendly fuel for generating power, produced by refining and processing by-products of Oleo Chemical, maintain animal and vegetable properties.
- ※ New bio fuel introduced to implement the obligatory the renewable portfolio standard (RPS)
- ※ Existing power generation facilities can be used by replacing bunker C oil, a petroleum fuel.
The background of bio heavy oil
Biofuel companies seek a wide range of ways to supply bioenergy in accordance with the implementation of the Renewable portfolio standard (RPS) Act
- ※ What is the Renewable portfolio standard (RPS)?
- · It is a mandatory system to supply power generation operators with power generation facilities with more than a scale (500MW) electricity with electricity produced by renewable energy.
- · Energy resources to be applied: solar power, wind power, water power, bio, fuel cell, tidal power
- ※ Companies obligatory to supply (21) : power generation subsidiaries (6) private power generation companies (13), public institutions (2)
Effects of environmental improvement
According to the results of an empirical study conducted by the Korea Petroleum Quality and Distribution Authority, bio heavy oil hardly emits sulfur oxides, the main cause of pollution and the study confirms the following effects: 39% of nitrogen compared with heavy oil (Bunker C oil), 28% of fine dust, reduction of 85% greenhouse gases
(Press release by the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy September 7, 2018)